It is a short walk between the UNESCO preserved village of Saltaire, across the canal (cruises if you are of a mind), Roberts Park and the path to the Glen or use the Tramway to avoid the steep path.
The famous mill now houses a restaurant, the Hockney Gallery, shopping area and Information Centre.
The URC Church is worth a visit and includes the mausoleum of Sir Titus Salt.
The URC Church in Saltaire.
A walk along the canal towpath.
Shipley Glen from Baildon Moor.
Boni’s Tea Rooms.
The Old Glen House
From the top station of the Tramway it is a short -
You will be walking up Prod Lane. This area was a fairground from about 1900 until about 2000. The Tramway Museum has considerable information and photographs.
The pub has a restaurant and the tea room serves snacks, drinks and ice creams.
The tea rooms are part of the history of the area. The building, once an out house of the pub, was the peacock house at the time of the Prod Lane fairground. Bonita Duggan and her husband owned the pub for many years but when he died Bonita sold the pub and changed the peacock house into the tea rooms. Bonita died in march 2013 until then she was always busy in the tearooms 365 days a year.
The Old Glen House Pub was originally Woodhead Farm (at the head or top of the woods). From the Nineteenth Century drovers passed bye up the track behind the pub from the front of the later dam.
Later it was a Temperance Hotel.
The flattish area of moorland behind the tea room (Bracken Hall Green) was a massive permanent fairground from about 1870 until WWI. It was for this fairground that the Tramway was built. To carry people up the steep slope to the bottom of Prod Lane.
Many of the rides were unique. Sam Wilson built a toboggan slide a couple of years after he completed the Tramway in 1895. The brave hurtled down over the rocky edge of the glen and reached speeds of 60mph before stopping close to the dam in the bottom of the glen.
Passengers and toboggans were then hauled back to the top of the ride.
A roller coaster ran up through the fields beside Bracken Hall. It was possibly the first built in the UK.
There were carousels, camera obscuras, pony rides, a helter-
The fairground would often stay open until late in the evening using oil lamps for lighting.
There are records of there being 100,000 people attending in one day.
Sam Wilson’s Toboggan. Slide.
Possibly the oldest Roller Coaster in the UK, along side Bracken Hall.
The Suffragettes held a gathering here in 1908 attracting a crowd of 50,000 to 70,000 mainly supporters though there were some hecklers and stink bombs were thrown.
Bracken Hall is three hundred yards from Boni’s Tea Rooms and the Old Glen House.
A fifteenth century cruck house was demolished to make way for the present house. This early cottage was a Temperance Tea Rooms in its later years.
The house was built in c. 1890s of Yorkshire grit stone. It was once a bailiff's house, then a farm house and it still has the original big, old, panelled front door. It is of the traditional rural, symmetrical, four-
Today the main building is luxury self catering accommodation whilst the extension is the Information Centre. Here you will find displays of wild life and the history of the area. Outside is an interesting wild life garden.
Behind is a classroom and toilets. During opening times the classroom is set up with activities for young people.
The Centre is open from 1200 to 1400 each Saturday and Sunday.
The Friends of Bracken Hall organise many activities, including many for children.
See the Contacts page for more information.
The area beyond the Pub and Tea Room is now the open moorland of Bracken Hall Green and the steep-
This is a great area for chasing around, exploring amongst the rocks, picnicking or starting walks, short and long.
Bracken Hall Centre (5 minutes beyond the pub) is open during weekend afternoons and has displays interpreting the history and wild life of the area.
A short walk takes you up the hill to the top of Baildon Moor and a 360 degree view over Saltaire, beyond Leeds to the Power Stations beside the A1M, across Ilkley Moor and way northwards up Airedale.
The area also has evidence of a history going back over 4000 years of habitation and industry or back to the ice ages if you look carefully.
There are remains of iron age walls and burials, possibly the foundations of dwellings.
The area is at the northern end of the Yorkshire coal field and coal (of poor quality) was mined on Baildon Moor and at the end of the glen, bell pits and mine shafts are the remains of this industry. All these pits have been filled in though there is some doubt as to how safe they really are.
The top of Baildon Moor.
Winter on Bracken Hall Green and summer down in Trench wood. (Shipley Glen).